Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving
some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and
technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career
opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering
The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy
Technology Laboratory is seeking a Geospatial Research Scientist to
join our Team in Albany, OR. This opportunity will allow side by
side execution of research with world-class scientists and
engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new
areas of basic and applied research.
The U.S. Department of Energy’s National Energy Technology
Laboratory (NETL) is a multi-disciplinary, scientific and
technical-oriented national laboratory. NETL produces technological
solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative
innovations and efficient energy systems that make coal more
competitive, to advancing technologies that enhance oil and natural
gas extraction and transmission processes, NETL research is
providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown
energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the
health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled men
and women at three NETL research sites – Albany, Ore., Morgantown,
W.Va., and Pittsburgh, Pa. – conduct a broad range of research
activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national,
economic, and energy security of the United States.
This work will involve a multidisciplinary team participation
alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists, and
computer scientists to help develop next-generation tools to
understand offshore subsurface properties, hazards, and priorities
of the DOE Fossil Energy mission space. In addition, this position
may provide technical data development support for research in the
Carbon Storage and Critical Minerals areas.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Meeting task requirements of NETL and Leidos research managers
in attaining goals established for the NETL team as delineated in
the statements of work pertaining to funding awards supporting this
- Providing R&D technical support for the NETL team.
- Active participation in group meetings as well as other task
- Analyzing results in relation to experimental data from
simulated and/or experimental tests and published data from other
- Assisting in the preparation of technical papers, reports,
conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences
and publishing in archival journals.
- Presenting technical findings during regular team meetings as
well as at workshops and professional conferences.
- Participation in studies relating to model development,
workflow, and machine learning algorithm design related to
geospatial energy data.
- Master’s degree or higher in applied math, spatial statistics,
geography, geo-statistics, geospatial science or similar field with
less than 2 years of prior relevant experience
- Evidence of innovation in statistical methods and
algorithm development as applied to geospatial statistical
- Understanding and experience in spatial and/or subsurface
- Experience researching and publishing in the scientific
- Background in geospatial statistics and applications to energy
and environmental systems
- Robust coding experience including Python
- Experience in spatial mapping and analysis
- Substantive publication record in geospatial statistical
applications and methods.
- Evidence of substantive participation in the geospatial
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions
Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT,
environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees
with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning
training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External
Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work
place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere
Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Scheduled Weekly Hours: